1. What is an IP address?
2. What is a subnet mask?
3. What is ARP?
4. What is ARP Cache Poisoning?
5. What is the ANDing process?
6. What is a default gateway? What happens if I don't have one?
7. Can a workstation computer be configured to browse the
8. Internet and yet NOT have a default gateway?
9. What is a subnet?
10. What is APIPA?
11. What is an RFC? Name a few if possible (not necessarily the
12. numbers, just the ideas behind them)
13. What is RFC 1918?
14. What is CIDR?
15. You have the following Network ID: 188.8.131.52/27. What is the IP range for your network?
16. You have the following Network ID: 184.108.40.206. You need at least 500 hosts per network. How many networks can you create? What subnet mask will you use?
17. You need to view at network traffic. What will you use? Name a few tools.
18. How do I know the path that a packet takes to the destination?
19. What does the ping 192.168.0.1 -l 1000 -n 100 command do?
20. What is DHCP? What are the benefits and drawbacks of using it?
21. Describe the steps taken by the client and DHCP server in order to obtain an IP address.
22. What is the DHCPNACK and when do I get one? Name 2 scenarios.
23. What ports are used by DHCP and the DHCP clients?
24. Describe the process of installing a DHCP server in an AD infrastructure.
25. What is DHCPINFORM?
26. Describe the integration between DHCP and DNS.
27. What options in DHCP do you regularly use for an MS network?
28. What are User Classes and Vendor Classes in DHCP?
29. How do I configure a client machine to use a specific User Class?
30. What is the BOOTP protocol used for, where might you find it in Windows network infrastructure?
31. DNS zones – describe the differences between the 4 types.
32. DNS record types – describe the most important ones.
33. Describe the process of working with an external domain name.
34. Describe the importance of DNS to AD.
35. Describe a few methods of finding an MX record for a remote domain on the Internet.
36. What does "Disable Recursion" in DNS mean?
37. What could cause the Forwarders and Root Hints to be grayed out?
38. What is a "Single Label domain name" and what sort of issues can it cause?
39. What is the "in-addr.arpa" zone used for?
40. What are the requirements from DNS to support AD?
41. How do you manually create SRV records in DNS?
42. Name 3 benefits of using AD-integrated zones.
43. What are the benefits of using Windows 2003 DNS when using AD-integrated zones?
44. You installed a new AD domain and the new (and first) DC has not registered its SRV records in DNS. Name a few possible causes.
45. What are the benefits and scenarios of using Stub zones?
46. What are the benefits and scenarios of using Conditional Forwarding?
47. What are the differences between Windows Clustering, Network Load Balancing and Round Robin, and scenarios for each use?
48. How do I work with the Host name cache on a client computer?
49. How do I clear the DNS cache on the DNS server?
50. What is the 220.127.116.11 address used for?
51. What is WINS and when do we use it?
52. Can you have a Microsoft-based network without any WINS server on it? What are the "considerations" regarding not using WINS?
53. Describe the differences between WINS push and pull replications.
54. What is the difference between tombstoning a WINS record and simply deleting it?
55. Name the NetBIOS names you might expect from a Windows 2003 DC that is registered in WINS.
56. Describe the role of the routing table on a host and on a router.
57. What are routing protocols? Why do we need them? Name a few.
58. What are router interfaces? What types can they be?
59. In Windows 2003 routing, what are the interface filters?
60. What is NAT?
61. What is the real difference between NAT and PAT?
62. How do you configure NAT on Windows 2003?
63. How do you allow inbound traffic for specific hosts on Windows 2003 NAT?
64. What is VPN? What types of VPN does Windows 2000 and beyond work with natively?
65. What is IAS? In what scenarios do we use it?
66. What's the difference between Mixed mode and Native mode in AD when dealing with RRAS?
67. What is the "RAS and IAS" group in AD?
68. What are Conditions and Profile in RRAS Policies?
69. What types or authentication can a Windows 2003 based RRAS work with?
70. How does SSL work?
71. How does IPSec work?
72. How do I deploy IPSec for a large number of computers?
73. What types of authentication can IPSec use?
74. What is PFS (Perfect Forward Secrecy) in IPSec?
75. How do I monitor IPSec?
76. Looking at IPSec-encrypted traffic with a sniffer. What packet
types do I see?
77. What can you do with NETSH?
78. How do I look at the open ports on my machine?