Top 10 Quotes From Stephen Hawking
I have recently been reading up a bit on the life and work of British
theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. In my reading, I have run across a
number of his famous quotes that are both funny and insightful. He is widely
considered to be among the most intelligent people living today. Here is
what he has to say…
1. "Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end."
2. "The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that
events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain
underlying order, which may or may not be pinely inspired."
3. "Life would be tragic if it weren't funny."
4. "To show this diagram properly, I would really need a four dimensional
screen. However, because of government cuts, we could manage to provide only
a two dimensional screen."
5. "My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since
then has been a bonus."
6. "Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve
the sales. In the end, however, I did put in one equation, Einstein's famous
equation, E = mc2. I hope that this will not scare off half of my potential
7. "I find that American & Scandinavian accents work better with women." In
response to a question about the American accent of his synthesiser.
8. "My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why
it is as it is and why it exists at all."
9. "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and
that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
10. "Einstein was wrong when he said "God does not play dice".
Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but
that He sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen."